Sunday, December 27, 2015

Terrible Songs That I Like - Waiting For A Star To Fall - Boy Meets Girl


What The Song Is - A 1988 pop song by the duo of George Merrill and Shannon Rubicam, collectively known as Boy Meets Girl. The song was originally rejected by Whitney Houston who had already recorded two songs they wrote for her, "How Will I Know" and "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)." It was also offered to Belinda Carlisle who rejected it too. Eventually Boy Meets Girl released it on their own and it went into the Billboard Top 5 and topped the Adult Contemporary charts.

Why It's Bad - The opening lines are, "I hear your name whispered on the wind/It's a sound, that makes me cry." That should give you a clue right away as to the amount of emotional strength we're dealing with out of the lead singer. Other choice, campy lines include the chorus, "Waiting for a star to fall/And carry your heart into my arms/That's where you belong, in my arms baby, yeah." The keyboards are pretty over the top, and its sentimentality is so saccharine it's almost laughable.

Why I Still Like It - Boy Meets Girl knew how to craft a pop hook, I really can't deny that at all. When the chorus kicks in I am right there singing along with it despite all my better instincts. Towards the end of the song they make it even more of a fun and challenging sing along by singing in an even higher register to really capture just how much they're waiting on that star to fall. It's a fairly demanding vocal that's not too taxing, but provides enough of a challenge to make it fun to sing. There's also a damn good saxophone part in there too; DAMN GOOD.

Final Notes - As indicative of the '80s as this is, not all pop from that decade can claim to be this catchy and vibrant. Also to its credit, unlike the manufactured '90s pop that would come after it...this has a saxophone, a damn good saxophone. I'll just never say that this is a damn good song.

No comments:

Post a Comment